Monday, March 4, 2013

Avocado Egg Breakfast Sandwich




I know that I just put the bread slices in the freezer but I had a craving and I love avo and eggs. There is this neighborhood haunt of mine in BK that I make a point to visit when I go home. The place is called Iris Cafe, and it's perfect after a long bike ride to Red Hook. They have an avocado and soft boiled egg breakfast dish on the menu that is simply divine. I order it every time I go there with a big 'ole cup of Stumptown coffee (skim milk, no sugar).
The one and only Iris Cafe (please don't get more popular or I won't get a seat)
I have since turned their idea into one that I can make at home, but even simpler. I can never get soft boiled eggs to come out perfectly, so I make this recipe with either a fried egg or scrambled eggs, which take absolutely no effort or skill. I toasted a slice of the no-knead beer bread and smeared that avocado good.  
Simple- three ingredients
I don't have a toaster oven so I used a real oven (hint-use a toaster oven)
'Bout ready to flip
Schmear
The Single Serving!
Avocado Egg (open face) Breakfast Sandwich Recipe:
     Ingredients-
    1/4 or 1/2, avocado (depending on size of bread slice)
    1 bread slice 
    1 egg

How To-
Turn your skillet onto medium high and let it heat up. If the skillet is hotter when you put the egg in, it becomes more fried-like. Spray your skillet with non-stick spray when it is hot. In the meantime, toast your bread slice in your toaster oven. As you can see, I used my regular oven broiler  to speed things up but it requires careful observance or you will burn the top. Fry or scramble your egg. In the meantime, use a butter knife to spread the avocado on the toasted bread slice. Place the egg on top of the avocado or on the side, as you like.
Enjoy!

Thoughts:
The beauty of this recipe is that you can use whatever you have lying around the house. As you will have seen me lament in the past, I have not had access to great bread and instead have been using store-bought sandwich bread for this recipe. So having the homemade bread really made a difference and made me feel like I was sitting in Iris, not in my living room. That said, it is completely satisfactory to use whatever you have on hand- and you can't go wrong with avo and eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment